December month is holiday month. Unfortunately it is also the time of year when thieves see the opportunity to hit our homes that are soft targets while we are on holiday.
Take care of the following before you leave on holiday:
1. First and foremost: Somebody must watch your house – a neighbour, friend or family. Is the power on? Are your animals well cared for and everything fine? We often receive calls from neighbours complaining about alarms that has been howling for days. As a security firm we can do nothing about this as we have no access to the house to reset the alarm.
2. Ask someone to remove post and newspapers from your postbox daily or cancel the deliveries.
3. Get someone to mow the lawn and keep the garden clean and neat while you are away.
4. If nobody is living in your house during the holidays, at least install a timer to turn on lights and even the television at intervals. These days you can use your smartphone to remotely switch on lights etc. in your home.
5. Be sure to activate the alarm before you leave for the holidays. Insurance companies will not pay for losses due to burglary if the alarm was not activated.
6. Get someone to care for your animals. They need enough water, food and some shade in the summer.
Last but not least it is important to test your alarm system some weeks before you leave to make sure it works well.
Stephan Meyer is the CEO of Bloemsec.