PREP TIME: 1hour marinate 1hour prep | COOKING TIME: 30 min
SERVES: 4 | PAIRING: Sweet and sour stir fry vegetables
This is a winner! The Lavacious Lemon Brutal Fruit makes the most delicious glaze for a sweet and sour effect with the vegetables, but also a very effective chicken marinade. Chef Lesley Jacobs uses only the best. All the ingredients for the test kitchen and photo shoot comes from SAB, Malu and Fruit & Veg Food Lover’s Market. Enjoy!
4 deboned, skinless chicken breasts
2 bottles Lavacious Lemon Brutal Fruit (buy six and enjoy while you’re cooking…)
1 standard bunch of spinach, blanched and refreshed, finely chopped
150g plain feta cheese
60ml gelatine powder
salt and pepper to taste
250g back bacon strips
50g cake wheat flour
250ml chicken stock
2 baby marrows, cut into Julienne strips
2 carrots, peeled and cut into Julienne
3 peppers (green, red and yellow) cut into Julienne
1 onion, finely sliced
1 punnet mushrooms, finely sliced
zest of 2 lemons
To make the Brutal Fruit glaze (also use as sweet and sour sauce for veggies)
1. Add one bottle of Lavacious Lemon Brutal Fruit into a small pan with the sugar and half of the lemon zest.
2. Slowly heat up until all the sugar is dissolved and bring to a boil. Boil until syrupy or halved in volume.
To make the sweet and sour Julienne veggies
1. Fry all the finely cut vegetables and mushroom in a pan with a little olive oil.
2. Season to taste and right at the end add 50ml of the Brutal Fruit glaze.
To make the Chicken Roulade:
1. Open a bottle of Lavacious Lemon Brutal Fruit and decant into a larger bottle. Shake out the gas. (This is an important step)
2. Place the chicken breasts in a shallow container and cover with the Brutal Fruit. Marinade for one hour.
3. Cover a cutting board and meat mallet with plastic wrap.
4. Take the chicken from the marinade and pound each one with the meat mallet until very thin. Do not discard the marinade liquid – chef uses it to make the velouté.
5. Sprinkle each breast with 15ml gelatine powder, some spinach, feta and season with salt and pepper.
6. Roll up tightly inside a piece of plastic wrap and twist the ends to shape a kind of sausage. Cover with foil and add to a pot of boiling water. Poach for at least 10 minutes or until the chicken is firmed up.
7. Unwrap the chicken sausages and cover in in bacon strips. Grill in the oven until the bacon is done.
8. In the meantime, melt the butter in a pan and add the cake wheat flour. Measure the marinade liquid that was left and add some chicken stock up to 500ml. Add the mixture to the roux and whisk gently. Add the milk and leave to simmer for 5 minutes. Lastly add the fresh thyme leaves and some lemon zest.
9. Cut the chicken roulade into rings and plate with the stir fried veggies and lemon and thyme sauce (veloute). Garnish with the rest of the lemon zest.
Please note: Brutal Fruit not for sale to persons under the age of 18.